March break is officially over – whomp, whomp! The weather this week wasn’t that great, which meant many of us spent the week indoors keeping dry, and stuffing our faces watching dreadful day time television.
Rainy days = recipe testing. Here’s what I whipped up this week. This soup was hearty and heart warming. Serve with a perfect grilled cheese or tuna sandwich and you’ve got yourself a delicious lunch.
6 roma tomatoes
6 garlic cloves
1/4 cup olive oil
3 sweet potatoes
2 celery ribs
1 carton of veggie stock
2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
1 sprig fresh flat-leaf parsley
1. Cut the tomatoes in half, scoop out the seeds and discard. Peel and mince half the garlic. Combine minced garlic, tomatoes, and 1 tbsp olive oil in a baking dish and roast at 425 F for 30 minutes.
2. Cut the sweet potatoes in half the long way, place cut-side down in a dish, drizzle with olive oil, and roast at 425 for 25 minutes (can be done with the garlic and tomatoes).
3. Chop the onion, peel and chop the carrots, and chop the celery. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a skillet and cook the onion, carrots, and celery until the onion are clear.
4. Combine onion/carrot/celery mixture with stock in a saucepan. Remove skin from sweet potatoes and add to saucepan. Simmer uncovered for 40 minutes. Meanwhile, chop tomatoes and set aside.
5. Use an immersion blender to process the soup until smooth. Add fresh chives and serve.