As you know, last weekend my family and I went to Chudleigh’s to pick apples. We scored the perfect Cortland apples which are great all-purpose, baking-friendly apples. Which means, they were going to be the star of our apple pies.
1 tablespoon cinnamon
8 Cortland apples (core, peel and slice)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 granulated sugar
1 nine inch pie crust
2. After slicing apples, add lemon juice to keep them tart and from browning.
3. Coat apples with dry mixture and combine well.
4. Add apples to pre-made pastry or dough from scratch. Click here for recipe.
5. Cover top of apples with remaining pastry and top with simple egg wash and sugar.
6. Bake in 375 degree oven for 40 mins.
Apple pie is best served warm, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. It is the perfect dessert for those cool, dark fall nights.
Big thanks to my sister-in-law, Alejandra, for helping me embrace the baker in me!
Have leftover apples? Try this simple recipe for applesauce – it’s foolproof. Believe me, we made it:)